Me

Me

Monday, October 3, 2011

Again...I feel like poo-

     There is one feeling that I absolutely detest, and that is being made to feel like you are "just a number" and like a cow being led to slaughter with the rest of the herd. That who you are and what you think is not important. I went on my first interview in 5 years today, and I left feeling exactly that way. What I do not understand, is that the job I applied for is a job for an extrovert, someone who feels comfortable talking in groups, being the center of attention, and anyone who knows me, would know that is exactly who I am. So I was actually excited for that interview, I was convinced I would nail it! I have grown so much over the years and honestly for the first time I really am starting to feel comfortable being who I am. I was excited to exude that sentiment, to show what I could do, and that is connect with people.

      If those are some of the most important qualifications for the future job, one would think the interview might center around that, well at least I did. So, imagine my surprise when after 6 tests and a quick ten minute interview, I was being told that I should hear from the company in 5-10 business days, that my information would be passed on, and a "thank you" for coming. From my point of view, I took 6 tests, 5 of which had nothing to do with the position I applied for, interviewed with someone who filled out a form, did not laugh at my jokes, sat in a waiting room doing nothing for 40 min, saw some of my competition ( a 23 year old pimply guy in a generic suit, with a generic folder, a woman in her forties in a generic suit, with generic black folder, an old woman who sadly was similar to me, trying to show personality, and an older man who was just as generic as the 40 year old woman and 23 year old kid.) and just in general, I left feeling despair. How are they going to get to know me in that sad little 10 minutes? How I am supposed to convey I am more than qualified for this job, when I spend more time taking tests about numbers and business ethics, than I do discussing the job with someone, or at least making the case that I can do that job, and I can do it well.

      For those of you who study numbers, you win. Fine, whatever, good for you. I still stand by the idea that you can not know or understand someone unless you talk to them in person. Ask questions, get a rapport, figure out what they are about. The idea that we can judge people using numbers, tests with questions that should not be turned in to "yes or no" answers is only further proof that there are too many incompetent people in important positions in this country. It is hard to be easily impressed by people when you know most of them are just full of it. I am disappointed that this was the process. I do not understand why we accept this as the process and I am sure it contributes to feelings of inadequacy many people in the unemployment line feel. The feelings of inadequacy are undeserved and as human beings, we should never be made to feel like an animal or an inconsequential number.

No comments:

Post a Comment